Thursday, August 21, 2008

and the teachers are already complaining...

Dear Fay,

You know, at first I was psyched that you were heading this way. They said you'd be a Category One, bringing lots of wind and rain. I bought supplies. I filled my gas tank. I emptied my minuscule bank account just for some emergency cash.

And then...you veered off course. Was it something I said? I can't think of any other way to welcome a storm . We closed our schools and opened shelters! My neighbors boarded their windows and took all their potted plants inside. The mayor got on tv and scared the crap out of us.

This is all we get? Some drizzly rain and wind. A few leaves on the ground. What more do you want? You better bring something a little stronger, Miss Fay. Or else I'm going to put you in the same category as all my ex-boyfriends - Masters of the Bait and Switch.

With disgust,
A Floridian with a bad case of cabin fever

2 comments:

emilysuze said...

I love your letter to Fay.

And now that I don't live in Florida, it's funny to hear from my friends who do. Other Jax friends were freaking out and telling me that this is one of the worst "hurricanes" they have seen to hit North Florida. I hadn't even been aware that Fay had been upgraded to hurricane status...

The Working Girl said...

It wasn't even that bad. I've been in much worse storms.

Either that, or my sleeping pills are really, really good!