Today I was hit with a high school memory. In an effort to claim the title of Biggest Nerd on Campus (most of which banked on my status as a band member), I was the PRESIDENT of Key Club. As president, part of my duty was to start the Key Club Pledge at each weekly meeting.
It goes a little something like this:
I pledge, on my honor, to uphold the Objects of Key Club International; to build my home, school and community; to serve my nation and God; and combat all forces which tend to undermine these institutions.
So, as I am trying to build my home, school and community...and serve my nation...and God (cause She rules)...I must THEREFORE combat all forces which tend to undermine these institutions. I never really stopped to interpret those words, which, in retrospect, seem a bit harsh. But today, I had to remind myself to COMBAT the forces that were trying to undermine my efforts. Maybe it's going back to work after being on spring break, maybe it's my impending surf on the crimson wave, maybe it's the cloudy weather, but it seems like EVERYTHING annoyed me beyond belief today.
Since I'm only one ex-nerd and I can only combat a certain number of forces, I decided to make a list of my Top Five Pet Peeves. At least, for today.
1. Sending someone an email, and instead of getting a reply, opening your inbox to find three forwards from said someone. Especially when that someone is "my boss". What is that - a sick mind game? Re: don't try me.
2. People who crowd me in the checkout lane at Publix. Go ahead, grab the separator stick and smack it on the belt before I'm even done unloading. That's right, just try and bump my booty with your cart when I'm at the debit machine. Bring it on, supermarket bitches!!!
3. The sound of knuckles popping, cracking, snapping, etc. Those noises are strictly for my Rice Krispies and not your freaking phalanges.
4. When the listing on Digital Cable is wrong. I ALMOST MISSED the end of an America's Next Top Model Marathon because I thought it was Rock the Cradle. Sweet Jesus, I need my Tyra Mail!!
5. When no one comments on my posts. Where is the love, people? I need THE LOVE! SHOW ME SOME LOVE! Do I need to spell it 'LUV'? Because I'm not above that. Really. I promise.
Let's hope there are less forces to combat tomorrow. This totally goes against Emily's 21 Days of Happy Posts. Boo positivity!!