Saturday, December 12, 2009

you spin me right round, baby, right round...

My principal's secretary asked for a picture of myself to put on the bulletin board for "Teacher of the Year." Luckily, I had one on my work computer that I used for the yearbook. Click, print.

I love this picture! I look super cute! I get compliments on this picture all the time. Ironically, it's the same one I use for my blogger profile.

Maybe I'm a narcissist who only ever looked at herself in the photograph, but I didn't realize the one thing I'm holding in the picture could be so misconstrued. My students selected this picture for the yearbook. I'm not that mean teacher they want to prank. They looked at the picture and said, "Oh! You're on the merry-go-round!" The girls all said, "You look so pretty in this picture!" Hello, Approval.

Well, some people noticed the interesting detail. One of which happened to be my principal. He took one look at the picture and said, "She's on the pole!"

In the office. In front of everyone.

Then, he very kindly asked me about it at the Christmas party.

"What's this with the stripper picture Ms. L?"

I. Died.

Protesting immediately, I tried every tactic. Nothing worked.

"But I'm wearing my granny shawl in that picture!"

"And nothing under that shawl I assume?"

"No! I was on the merry go-round!"

"I bet it was a merry time for some people who go round."

"It's not like that! I was at a fundraiser!"

"I'll bet you raised more than funds that night."

It was all in good fun. It was also quite possibly the most embarrassing conversation I've ever had with a superior. Not to mention, this is the picture I used in the yearbook and the same picture I sent downtown with my Teacher of the Year application packet.

I think I am a permanent shade of red.

2 comments:

emilysuze said...

This is a truly awesome story! :) I'm sure you'll definitely win Teacher of the Year with a picture of you on a pole!

Heather said...

No need to be embarrassed...it is an awesome pic!! Maybe it was just everyone's way of letting you know you have some nice moves!! :)