Tuesday, April 17, 2007

yummy, yummy, yummy I got cash in my tummy...

I learned a new word today.

Hijole is Spanish for "wow".

I went to the grocery store today.

HIJOLE!

Yes, I know eating can be expensive - but I never realized how much of my paycheck goes right into my stomach. Today I spent $72.17 on food (for myself and the pets) that will probably only last one and a half weeks.

Grocery shopping is hard for me. I love fresh produce, but I can't eat it all before it goes bad. I refuse to eat cheap, processed foods (boxed mac and cheese, ramen noodles, etc) because they are so unhealthy. I also don't mind paying the extra 68 cents for cage-free eggs, and other more organic, green wise options.

Since I live alone, cooking is also a bit annoying. If I make a lot of something, I am forced to eat the leftovers for days. If I don't make enough...I have to go back to the store the next day. I don't clip coupons because I'm not organized enough and they always expire before I use them.

Also, living alone leads to eating out a lot. It's a social activity for me, and sometimes a convenience. Sometimes its an accident - like today when I forgot my lunch and did not have time to go home and get it. Hello, drivethru and six dollars down the drain.

Perhaps I should put myself on an "eating out" budget - or limit the number of times a week I do it. That, however, means I'll be spending more at the grocery store to eat in.

Any ideas???

Until payday,
Working Girl

1 comment:

Luey said...

I have the same problem! My weekend grocery binge runs at least a hundred bucks ... and its only me, no husband, no kids! The kicker is that I get lazy sometimes and still end up eating out. Try buying only enough food for 3 days at the supermarket if you have a tendancy to cheat and eat out during the week. I've done that and found that I over shop at the supermarket, so by buying enough for only 3 days I still have enough to last me 10. Also, when buying lunch I buy the larger portion and save half for dinner. That way I feel less guilty, two meals for the price of one.